Tuesday, November 27, 2012

JaM-Meeting old friends for the first time.

I am still being slack with my posts but my days are filled with study, the garden and hand quilting quilts for Christmas presents. There is a little stress that I have done nothing else towards getting organised for Christmas. Thank goodness for Jody and JaM or I would hardly ever get in here to let you know I am still around.  So really nothing too exciting to write about until this morning when I found out just how small the internet has made this world of ours...............


For almost 20 years I have had a penfriend in the UK. We started writing when our children were all in Primary school and have shared the ups and downs in our lives via letter and now through email. In those 20 years she has moved from England back to Scotland, our children have grown up and moved out, her husband passed away three years ago, and we have not lost touch for any serious length of time.
Elaine's children are scattered all over the world now. Her son lives in France, there is a daughter in Istanbul another still lives in Scotland and her youngest daughter is living in Australia at the moment. She keeps contact with them via Skype and we realised the other day that we could do that too.
So this morning we Skyped. It was the best hour and a half I have had for a long time. We chatted and laughed, talked about serious stuff and silly stuff and just enjoyed each others company.  I was worried that maybe we wouldn't have anything to talk about when face to face but the time just flew and there was still lots more to talk about but it was crawling towards midnight over there and she had to get up and go to work tomorrow.  We are planning to make this a regular event and we are hoping that in 2014 she may come over to visit her daughter and visit me too. We have always said that one day we would meet on an island half way between here and there, no husbands or children, just us, so maybe that really will happen soon.

4 comments:

Jody Pearl said...

Lovely story Jackie - how fabulous to be able to put a face to the name.

Thanks for joining in JaM this week. x

Jenny's Place Online said...

Sounds like you had a lovely time, Jackie :) Good luck with your get-together in 2014. Best wishes, and happy crafting, Jenny

Andrea said...

Oh what a lovely post.........
friends are so special new and old in person or via letter/internet.
Erk.. Xmas presents thanks for the reminder I better get cracking!!

trishie said...

I love that you have kept in touch with your pen friend all these years. Takes dedication on both parties. What a beautiful friendship you share.

I would like to invite you to enter the Pacifica gift set giveaway at my blog now: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2012/11/pacifica-gift-set-giveaway.html