Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Rats in the house!!

Rats have always conjured up images of  nasty rodents that get in your ceilings or eat the wiring in your car! Dirty disease carrying creatures that the world could do with out. Any mention by my sons of getting a pet Rat brought feelings of revulsion and a definite NO!!  Well my boys were never ones to take No for an answer and last year David (in the middle) arrived home with Godzilla, a very definite male Rat. Well revulsion was soon replaced with a definite soft spot for these friendly and very sweet little animals. David and Godzilla have left home, Ben (eldest son) has a Rat now and Nicky (only and favourite daughter) has recently acquired two. How on earth her Rats survive in a house with three cats is beyond me, but they do. My only child still living at home, Beau (my youngest) has been talking about getting a Pet Rat lately and although I asked him not to as the Dogs and Cats make it all such a hassle, he also doesn't take no for an answer.
A recent trip to Albury to get school shoes and support for his walk and what did he arrive home with?? She is a real cutie too, though a little livelier than Dave's male. Apparently males are better pets as they are more placid. She has already grown out of the little platform she was sleeping on but I found this basket in the sewing room today and she is very happy making a nest in it. I'm not over fussed with one of her other favourite places to curl up and sleep, Beau's armpit!  She's been with us a couple of weeks now and still hasn't got a name. I wouldn't dare suggest anything cause I'm sure Beau would just answer with 'That's really gay, Jackie'
You have to admit she really does have a very sweet face.

3 comments:

mel @ loved handmade said...

My twin nephews have a pet rat & they adore him! My boys keep asking for one every time they see it, but I don't think I'm up to that...maybe when they're a little older...

Enchanted Moments said...

oh, no, Jackie no, give me a rabbit any day..........

MO said...

huh, i guess that when you think about it a pet rat does sound a little disgusting, but after looking at it you can say it's pretty cute... but I still don't like small pets, they are not ass hugable and not as easy nor fun to play with... for me it's dog, cat or rabbit (preferibly dog)