Tuesday, December 11, 2012

It's the little things

In an earlier post I told you about how I am Skyping with my Scottish penfriend of many years. We were chatting the other day and I mentioned that I was going to make some Anzac biscuits for a friend for Christmas because they were his favourites. Well she had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I have just sent her the recipe and the history of the Anzac biscuit. Even though we speak the same language and share a very similar background there are somethings that are unique to our countries. Just simple everyday things that we take for granted.
I sit here in the Summer talking to her sitting there in the Winter. It is 30 odd degrees here so not yet as hot as it will get and 4 degrees there and nowhere near as cold as it will get. She can't imagine a day over about 25 degrees as that is about as hot as her summer gets. I am sure that as we continue to meet each other in the virtual world there will be many more little things in our lives that are very, very different.

No comments: