Sunday, June 19, 2011

Any ideas what this is????

It looks harmless enough doesn't it? A little tin thingy with a Bakelite knob on the top.
And when you twist the little knob all these wire bits come out.
Has anyone got a clue as to what it is? It turned up in a bag of old sewing bits and pieces ages ago and is a complete Mystery to me.


quilary said...

It looks like a vicious version of a tracing wheel!

Enchanted Moments said...

oooh, you may have to send it in to the collectors....

Anonymous said...

Hiya Jackie
I may be wrong but I think it is used for lace making or french knitting, and when you turn the knob it releases the cottons....I think :o))
It is kinda like the collectors isn't it ?
Good luck, let me know the answer.

Anonymous said...

Back again
Its a flower loom !!!! makes woolen, cotton flowers, I thought "flowers" so googled vintage flower making and viola :o)
I have tooo much time on my hands, lol

mel @ loved said...

Wow, a flower loom, fantastic!

Jackie said...

Thanks Chris that's just what it is!! If anyone is interested here is a link so you can see how it works.

Pam said...

Ooh, ooh I knew that Jackie!! Just too late to get in before Chris! lol.
I've actually got one that I've had since I was in my twenties I suppose, or even earlier. Wow! a very long time ago! My sister and I used to make raffia flowers with them. It was when girls would make plaited raffia lengths to wear like sole-less thongs, and then add the flower to the top so that they sat on the toes. Did you do this or was it all a dream??!! lol. Talk about a flower child!!!!! x